1 pkg. active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup apple cider or beer
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
1 teaspoon caraway seed, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups rye flour
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg white
1 tablespoon water
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine yeast and water. Stir until dissolved.
2. Add apple cider or beer, brown sugar, butter, caraway seeds, and 2 cups of all-purpose flour.
3. Add enough of the remaining flour, and continue kneading until dough forms a smooth ball that is slightly sticky to the touch.
4. Place dough in large, greased bowl and cover with a towel. Let rise until double in size, about 2 hours.
5. Punch down. Shape into balls, then flatten and place on greased cookie sheet. Let rise until double in size, about 1 hour.
6. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 egg white and 1 tablespoon cold water. Brush loaves with this mixture to produce a shiny, crisp crust.
7. Bake in 350° F oven for 50 minutes.
*Use mixer equipped with dough hooks
Yield: 1 loaf