Onion Herb Bread
1 pkg active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
3/4 cups milk
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/8 teaspoon ground sage
6 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
2 - 2&1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1. In small bowl dissolve yeast in warm water.
2. In small pan, saute onion in oil until tender.
3. In large mixing bowl combine onion, milk, parsley, sugar, salt, dillweed, sage, and yeast. Stir to mix.
4. Add cornmeal and 2 cups of the flour. Mix* on Speed 5 or 6. Add enough of the remaining flour until dough forms a smooth ball that is slightly sticky to the touch.
5. Place dough in large, greased bowl. Cover and let rise until double in size.
6. Punch down dough. Shape into loaf and place in a 9 x 5 inch greased loaf pan. Cover and let rise about 40 minutes or until double in size.
7. Bake in 350°F oven for 45 minutes.
* Use mixer equipped with dough hooks.
Yield: 6 servings
Tips: Bread dough rises best at a temperature between 75°F and 85°F. If the kitchen is cold, place the bowl of covered dough on a rack in the oven. Place a bowl of hot water on a rack below. Do not turn on the oven during rising.
Substitutions: If fresh dill weed is on hand, 1 tablespoon of chopped, fresh dill weed can be used instead of 1/2 teaspoon of dried dill weed.